Election Day is Tuesday, and city election officials have residents covered.
Due to this year’s presidential election, officials are anticipating a higher-than-normal voter turnout by implementing procedures to simplify the in-person and absentee voting experiences for residents.
The helpful voting steps come at an already challenging time complicated by the coronavirus, officials said, with City Hall closed on Friday until further notice due to the pandemic.
Residents who have registered to vote can vote in person at the window outside the city clerk’s office of City Hall, 355 Main St., from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. today and Monday. The in-person deadline for voting by window is at 8 p.m. Monday.
Residents who have absentee ballots must deposit them in the ballot drop boxes at the Main Street and Savin Avenue entrances of City Hall by 8 p.m. Tuesday. They can also deposit them in the drop boxes at the John Prete public housing complex at 1187 Campbell Ave. and the Surfside complex at 200 Oak St.
Although the voter registration deadline was Oct. 27, residents who have not registered to vote can register in person from 6 a.m. to 8 p.m. Tuesday at the window outside the registrar of voters office of City Hall, according to officials.
The registrar’s office encourages residents to register early to eliminate long lines on Election Day.
At the polls, residents must wear face masks and maintain social distancing at all times, including staying at least 6 feet away from others.
Polling places are open from 6 a.m. to 8 p.m. Tuesday in the following districts:
- 1st District, Elks Lodge 1537, 265 Main St.
- 2nd District, Savin Rock School, 50 Park St.
- 3rd District, Washington School, 369 Washington Ave.
- 4th District, University of New Haven Student Hall, formerly St. Paul Church, 41 Alling St.
- 5th District, Simchat Yisrael, 870 First Ave.
- 6th District, Forest School, 95 Burwell Road.
- 7th District, Molloy School, 255 Meloy Road.
- 8th District, Mackrille School, 806 Jones Hill Road.
- 9th District, Haley School, 148 South St.
- 10th District, Pagels School, 26 Benham Hill Road.