The new, revitalized chapter of the West Haven Lions Club International has been chartered and installed a slate of officers at a ceremony last month.
Although not officially recognized until December, last fall, the chapter donated school supplies for underprivileged West Haven students. The supplies that were donated by city residents and businesses were presented to West Haven Youth and Family Service Director Diane Dietman. Dietman distributed the supplies to schools that are in the most need.
The chapter is also currently having a WHEAT food drive and a coat drive for veterans. Items can be dropped off at the Physicians Physical Therapy, located at 544 Campbell Ave.
The Lions Clubs International is an international service organization, established in 1917 by Chicago businessman Melvin Jones. Jones, then 38, told his fellow business leaders at a local business club that they should think beyond their businesses and work to the betterment of their communities. The group formed the International Association of Lions Clubs. The motto of the Lions Club is “We Serve.” LIONS is an acronym for Liberty, Intelligence, Our Nation’s Safety.
Local Lions Clubs’ programs include sight conservation, hearing and speech conservation, diabetes awareness, youth outreach, international relations, environmental issues and many other programs. The West Haven Chapter is currently collecting used prescription eyeglasses. The glasses can be dropped off at Physicians Physical Therapy, located at 544 Campbell Avenue in downtown West Haven.
West Haven’s new chapter is being led by local businesswoman and Branford Town Representative Carolyn Sires and West Haven Planning & Zoning Commissioner Steven R. Mullins. Meetings will be held Thursday evenings at Physicians Physical Therapy, 544 Campbell Avenue, West Haven. New members are welcome. For additional information, please call ( 203) 937-6150.